Thursday, March 31, 2011

HAS EVERYBODY GOT THEIR RUNNING SHOES ON? -- JUST A MINUTE for Thursday 110331

Yessir ree-sir We have had our share of Spring Rain and then some.

 

I know the long range water gage people say we haven’t restored the ground water yet – but they haven’t been out picking up windfalls (branches) and looking at washed away mulch and rubbed cold fingers to warm ‘em up in the absence of gettin’ the groundhog to call off the six weeks PLUS of winter here in our delicate Southland.

 

I suppose any who are gardening would be on my side – problem is I really don’t know one end of a hoe from the other (well I really do but it’s a figure of speech that is rather accurate when it comes to my gardening). Relatives on both my Mother’s side and my Father’s were farmers.  What I learned about farming you could put in a small beanie cap. What I learned about working in a vegetable patch somewhat less – and raising flowers even less than that.

 

Just this week I was trying to help my wife coax a houseplant that had great promise… and beautified our table for a while … get it to come back to health.  I not only wasn’t being successful… I think I was the touch of death for the poor thing.  I don’t think I watered it too much… but we (my wife and I together) did something either too much or too little… because it’s giving up the ghost – if plants have ghosts to give up.

 

We met a rather eccentric Prime Minister of a Caribbean Island some years back who sat us down in his parlor to tell us how much his plants missed him when he had to be away on a trip.  He *knew* he said when the plants were ill and made it a point to get right back home ASAP – and they would revive. We didn’t explore that too much… but I’m wondering if he ever met a self-aggrandized Colonel from North Africa who seems to have a cast-iron, totally wrong view about himself and his people.

 

Perhaps I’d better stick to gardening. Which I don’t stick to much.  Anyway… I’d just as soon not have any pinching pain or something like it inflicted upon or from, a voo-doo doll. Not my cup o’ tea.

 

Tomorrow we’ll try to shine some light on a brighter subject. Have a great day.

 

Cordially, IN HIM

 

Jack

“JUST A MINUTE”

HAS EVERYBODY GOT THEIR RUNNING SHOES ON?

            Just a Minute: Jim DeMint, of South Carolina, got rock star billing by Stephen Moore, who wrote it up for Dow Jones in Des Moines, last weekend.

          Other governors in the blocks were Romney, Pawlenty, Barbour plus former Speaker Newt Gingrich. Rep. Steve King, organizer said: "No question -- … Jim DeMint has a lot of appeal here in Iowa."

          Moore says DeMint told him a year ago he was not running for President: “I don’t see a real conservative champion out there. It’s disappointing.” But added the staff tells him there’s not a conservative in the field popular enough to deserve his support right now. So far the South Carolinian has scored one of the most conservative voting records both social and economic in his first Senate term but continues to maintain: "We have to decide our principles before we choose our candidate."

          He’s calling for "courageous conservatives" and listed three governors who might fit that description: Scott of Florida, Walker of Wisconsin and Christie of New Jersey. Each has taken on the unions. Moore compared DeMint to “The Gipper.”

            <> I’m Jack Buttram. (END)Jebco Editorial Service

www.wmuu.com

E-mail n4zhk@arrl.net

 

Delayed Audio Link

 

  

No comments: