Monday, March 7, 2011

WITH FRIENDS LIKE THESE -- WHO NEEDS ENEMIES? - Just a Minute Radio for Monday 110307

Here we are at the beginning of another week:

 

We had a really good downpour on Sunday morning – got wet going to church even… But by afternoon it was all turned off and getting cooler… which it will be by morning.

 

I’ve been struggling with our two major stories that affect people all through the area… One,of course, is what’s happening in the Middle East and does it affect us.  And the Second is what’s happening in Wisconsin and the struggle between the ‘legislature that’s frozen’ and the 14 AWOL Democrats from the Senate that has paralyzed the legislature.

 

That has kicked off a really strong debate that echoes across the land.  Are we going to have recalcitrant legislators that are bailing-out of the meeting house in enough numbers to lock the wheels of progress in the legislatures. I’m not sure what WI’s legislature’s rules require… but my understanding is they have to have at least one representative from the minority party or they cannot move any legislation forward. However, the no shows in the Senate have monkey-wrenched only one house of the legislature – but that seems to be enough.  I guess other states will have similar rules.

 

I know the US Senate has such a rule about committee meetings, as I recall my boss – Senator Thurmond – holding up an Armed Services Committee meeting because his presence was required to make a quorum (I don’t think it was a party matter but could have been.) Eventually Ralph Yarborough the Texas Democrat and Strom – the SC GOP -- did a little wrestling in the hallway … and  the scuffle was over when SC went arm in arm with TX into the committee room and they had the vote Thurmond had been trying to kill. 

 

So… these little shenanigans have been around for a while… probably longer than we know or admit to. 

 

What really irks me is the when the playing field is not level – that’s when the belly-aching starts.  For the last two years – prior to this Congress coming to power – the overwhelming majorities in both houses held by the Democrats has been used to ‘brute force’ stuff over on the minority.  Now that the tables have been turned ‘round at least on the House… there’s all this moaning, groaning and – well you get my drift.  Let’s grow-up people or the folks back home are going to insist you come home!

 

So… today and tomorrow I have no secret strategy to propose… but I think both sides of the aisle need to take a good solid look at what needs to happen for the good of the nation and for felicity within the ranks of all Americans.  There’s one rule I have never seen broken in the Washington-Merry-Go-Round and that is “What goes around comes around.” What you unfairly do to the opposition – will come back to bite you in a tender spot, and usually before too long.

 

So… with that I’ll get busy and ready for the Tuesday program – and wish you all – as Paul Harvey used to say… “Good  DAY!”

 

Cordially, IN HIM

 

Jack

 

 “JUST A MINUTE”

WITH FRIENDS LIKE THESE – WHO NEEDS ENEMIES?

            Just a Minute: -- Saturday’s Wall Street Journal carried Peggy Noonan’s column under the headline Public Unions Get too ‘Friendly’ – I say – “With friends like this – who needs enemies?”  I’m not anti-teachers or anti - Peggy Noonan. I am anti-bullies, and pro ‘good education.’

          When I was a school kid, I remember John L. Lewis – President of the United Mine Workers – on the front page of the paper which I carried beginning at five each morning – threatening the annual strike of coal miners, usually each July or August. It always made me wonder if we’d end up freezing in the coming winter.

          I just remember Lewis’s menacing eyebrows – and I shivered. -- I’m guessing elementary school kids are shivering these days – especially in ‘Wisconsin’ – wondering what’s goin’ on?

          This isn’t a contest between legislatures and governors – it’s about power and who’s got it. The education unions, weak legislative administrators have trapped kids into grown-up’s problems. Parents, legislators, educators, and voters can fix it with attention, prayer and effort – please be listening tomorrow. 

          <> I’m Jack Buttram           (END)

Jebco Editorial Service

www.wmuu.com

E-mail n4zhk@arrl.net

 

 

Delayed Audio Link

 

 

 

 

No comments: