Tuesday, March 22, 2011

PERSONAL STORIES FROM THE JAPANESE RECOVERY -- Just A Minute Radio for Tuesday 110322

Great Day in the Mornin’ – it’s almost afternoon… just a half hour to go.

 

Well, since we’re on the ‘Summer Side’ of the Vernal Equinox – we’d better check in on the gang at the Bait Shop And Sushi Bar… but we usually do that on Wednesday.  We don’t want to get too far ahead of ourselves or we might run up on the Christmas holidays. 

 

Actually it’s probably not good to be thinking about Christmas this early. I do remember however, my Dad…. Who was a graduate of Auburn – in the days when farm boys with some ambition to do something they thought they might be good at… took up Agricultural Engineering. There were steel mills in the South… I guess -- Birmingham had some – they  seemed to be the steelmaking center of the South….but it wasn’t much in comparison to the furnaces in the Northern climes I hear. -- Never being around either one much – I wouldn’t have been much of an expert. 

 

But now here with the Spring leaves coming out as if someone flipped on a switch and soon the flower gardens will have their fragrant say… we know the seasons they are a-changing. But indeed it is a pleasant time of year – if you didn’t have a quarter to a half acre to cultivate and turn up by hand – i.e. a fork or a spade.  These Spring days could get hot under such conditions.  

 

I know there was a lot of planting and such to do… I do recall that since we were ‘small change’ farmers… that is we had no mule or even a garden tractor to turn the soil and prepare it for cultivation… so I can recall my Daddy doing a lot of sweatin’ this time of year.  We had already been through the pre-emergent spraying season in the small orchard Dad was ‘tending’ – and that was still a cold weather chore… next came the ‘emergent’ sprays after the buds had begun to ‘set’ – and I don’t know what came next except it was strenuous – and I wasn’t much for it.  I knew that lawn-mowing… with the push mower (no not an engine running.. push mower… YOU were the power to move the mower and make the reel turn – I did love to mow the dandelions down.

 

From the amount I write about gardening you might think I am a gardener… I am not… Whatever my Dad told me I shortly forgot except when it came time to do it again… and he reminded me of what boys on a *real* farm had to do.  Well we had no animals… unless insects count… I might have turned out more farmingly inclined if I’d had some animals to tend to… but then again I might not.  I liked horses and mules… even pigs… (I enjoyed their enjoyment of eating and the sounds they shared.) But… diggin’ and pullin’ and hoein’ and trimmin’  -- well let’s just say I had my share and a little more I guess during the time I would have rather been playin’ Cowboys and Indians. 

 

But it was good for me. I learned how good it is to get *finished* working… and washing up and childhood was not all gardening… just a lot of it was.

 

The vegetables out of the garden really were tasty…. Especially tomatoes. Those I enjoyed and do till this day.  Pickin’ peas and shellin’em etc… well .. I preferred Watermelon or cantaloupes – Now Peaches I could go for – especially certain kinds… but I digress… I’m too far ahead of myself.

 

Have a great day.

 

Cordially, IN HIM

 

Jack

 

PERSONAL STORIES FROM THE JAPANESE RECOVERY

            Just a Minute: -- We’ve received amazing stories of God providing for His children in the Japanese crisis. Here a missionary speaks of living too close to the damaged reactors:

          (quote) “The US embassy urges Americans who live anywhere nearby the nuclear reactor to evacuate: I hated to leave friends but I had to -- I was running out of propane, having baked many loaves of whole-wheat bread and giving them away. There is NO bread anywhere in the Natori area. … Before I left, my neighbor, Mrs. Itoh, and her son came out and gave me a big hug -- we cried together. I told her to trust the one, true, living God to provide for her and take of her family and Lord willing, we would meet again. She has 13 people staying in her house because her relatives live too close to the ruined reactors. Please pray for the Itoh family.”

          “An incredible, miracle happened … Pastor Hayashi said they took the kindergarten children to the beach on the afternoon of the earthquake. When they felt the quake they ran to the buses and sped to higher ground! Praise God they outran the tsunami and God kept those dear, precious children safe!”

          Perhaps we can later relate more personal stories. <> I’m Jack Buttram. (END)

 

Jebco Editorial Service

www.wmuu.com

E-mail n4zhk@arrl.net

 

 

Delayed Audio Link

 

 

No comments: