Sunday, June 15, 2008

THE BORDER MANIFESTO -- Just a Minute for 6-18-08

Howdy folks…

 

I got to looking into some of the difficulties surrounding the “Carolina Line” and within a few minutes I had more facts and interesting historical legends than I would have been able to use in a month much less 60 seconds. In any case… the more I look into colonial history the more fascinating it becomes. One history program I heard in the last week or two said the reason there’s not more about Revolutionary War action in the South is most of the writers of that era lived from the Mid-Atlantic northward. I never had thought of that. The program producer felt there’s a LOT of unexplored American Revolutionary history in the Carolinas that’s just never been properly exposed. I’m not enough of a historian to sift through that… but it sounds reasonable.

 

Anyway… today Homer, Billy-bob and Miz Pearl share their ignorances of what went on when trying to place the “Caroliner Line.” I expect there’s a lot of loose data there.

 

We’re traveling up North today and tomorrow. Barb has some relatives gravestones she wants to look up… and there are still living relatives and friends we don’t get to see often. So I hope things go well for you (and us) today.

 

Cordially, IN HIM

 

Jack

 

PS – As I wrote yesterday… we’re going back to the ‘old’ way of posting links.

 

http://www.jebcovoice.net/audio/jama06-18-08.mp3

 

http://www.jebcovoice.net/scripts/jamt06-18-08.doc

 

“JUST A MINUTE”

THE BORDER MANIFESTO

 

Homer: Just a Minit – Mr. Jack --  Where perzakly, is th’ Caroliner line?

Jack: Homer, it’s the line dividing the states of North and South Carolina.

BB: Whooee… you don’t wanna git into th’ tangle they did over surveying that thang … back in th’ 16hunnerts they said hit went to the South Seas.

Jack: England originally claimed those as the western border for the Carolina colony.

MizP: You reckon we could claim an island in Hawaii?

Homer: Or maybe Fiji.

BB: Naw… Fuji b’longs ta' Japan.

MizP: You fellers don’t know what you’re a-tawkin’ about.

Jack: We have a lot of listeners who don’t know who you are … Homer…?

Homer: I’m Homer Ledfooter… I used ta' race beat up cars on th’ dirt tracks.

MizP: An I’m Ms Pearl Goodlady – we all live near th’ settlemint of Playfair.

BB: My name Billy-Bob Catlett – I like ta' fish an tawk politics.

Homer: He got some BIG fish stories.

Jack: These are my friends… they often say they’re ‘yellow dog Democrats.’

MizP: …‘Cause my granddaddy said: “If’n a yeller dog was a- unnin’ as a Demicrat sum of these folks ‘ud vote fo-wah him.”

Jack: Mostly they hang around  Earl ‘n’ Lester’s Bait Shop and Sushi Bar and exchange views – usually on Wednesdays. – but It’s only for one minute… so you have to be here on time. <> I’m Jack Buttram

 (END)

 

Jebco Editorial Service

www.justaminuteradio.blogspot.com

e-mail n4zhk@arrl.net

 

 

 

 

No comments: